Monday 23 June 2008

May

There were a couple of things that were still required for the office such as crockery for the kitchen and more importantly a water dispenser. Water dispensers are not normally used in the UK at least at home. A Water Dispenser is one of those machines u stick a water bottle in at the top and it gives you cold and hot water.

This was a must in Karachi’s weather, we needed cold water. As is Pakistan’s nature, things began to get ugly again. I ordered a water dispenser from the same company my cousins always use, and received it soon after. I had learnt that in Pakistan not all is as it seems, so I made sure to inspect the dispenser and make sure all was kushty.

But as was my luck the damn thing was broken, so I got them to take it back and exchange it. An hour later another dispenser was delivered and again I inspected it and got the same result, so once again 1 hour later another was delivered. Now the problem is I could only inspect the machine on the outside while the delivery guys were there. I was not allowed to put the dispenser on straight away, because of the compressor, if the compressor (the thing that cools and boils the water) is moved too much during delivery, which it is, and then you need to let the gas in it settle before you can turn it on.

So I left the dispenser there and on the same day the electricity went off as usual, or was it. Yep, the electricity to my office was cut off by the suppliers. Turns out when the owner handed over the office to me he hadn’t paid the electricity bills for a few months and neither had I thought to check it.

No comments: