Wednesday 14 May 2008

Preparing For Pakistan

Since we were kids we have been coming to Pakistan nearly every year. That was a big help. My mother tongue being Pashto or Pushto, it was more important for me to be proficient in Urdu, but was lucky as my parents were also going with me and are both proficient in Urdu, Pakistan’s national language.

The most important thing we needed a lot of was capital or dosh. So I started working as a cabby in London, blinkin ell. I completed a course in Passenger Facilitation, courtesy of the Job Centre. Through which I also received my PCO licence. For those who don’t know what a PCO license is, it’s basically a relatively new initiative by the Public Carriage Office to have every single cabby (minicab driver) on record. Legally you are not allowed to work as a cabby without this license. So I got my license and started to work for a firm called Abbey Cars.

Before I go any further, now when it comes to cabbing the money is in Black cabs and Chauffeuring (driving BMW’s and Mercs). Black Cab drivers have to take a 3 year course to get started and have to learn and memorise their way all around London (Hats off to them). I was hoping to get into chauffeuring but little did I know that you have to be at least 25 years old to get into a chauffeuring job. The other option was for me to get my own car, which I just might of scraped and my own insurance for which I was getting quotes over a grand a year. Hence I went for Abbey Cars, they gave me a car, petrol and insurance, I thought what a good deal, until I received my first pay cheque.

To be honest they were really nice people, but the pay was, let’s say inadequate. I was working 12-14 hour shifts 6 days a week and didn’t earn more than 300 quid a week. I sort of didn’t have any other choice, the time it would take to get another job would just hinder my plans, and so I stuck to it.

After sleepless months and my body completely drained I decided to end the job in November 2006, kind of stupid actually when I think about it because the busiest season was just round the corner CHRISTMAS. But never the less I had enough money to get started.

Emirates Airlines were selling 1 year long tickets to Karachi. So tickets were booked for myself, my father, my mother and sister for the 19th January 2007.

No comments: