Wednesday 14 May 2008

The trip to Abu Dhabi

In 2005 I was introduced to a book by a very good friend of mine; I think it was called Affiliate Marketing handbook by James Martell. This friend of mine explained to me about this new phenomenon known as Affiliate Marketing, which people were making millions from, I was so excited you could see the dollar signs in my eyes. The idea was simple and that was to put up websites and to advertise other people’s products on them and receive commission for every sale that is made through your websites.

I decided to go ahead and buy the book I think it cost me $197, alongside that I also bought a laser printer to print out the book with and had the book binded at my local printers. When I got the book home I read the first 20 pages or so and then did not touch the book for the next 3 or 4 months. It seemed that laziness had taken over. Every time I met my friend he would ask me how my sites were going I would grin and avoid the question.

I left the idea of making millions and started to be “more realistic” so I began looking for any work I could find, but wasn’t really comfortable anywhere.

I decided to take another look at the book and this time round read the whole thing. I was on a role, every time I would speak to my family about it, they thought it was just another of my lame ideas and I should just get a proper job or go back to my education. Times were hard.

It was then I got invited to work in Abu Dhabi (near Dubai) by my cousin who was in charge of a project there. I thought what have I got to loose. The idea was to go over for this project which was for two months and then stay on for a month to see if I could get another job. So in the beginning of September myself, my brother and our friend made our way to Abu Dhabi. It was the best experience and kick up the backside I could get. After 2 months of hard work, we started to realise how hard it was to find jobs in the UAE if you did not have any contacts there. My brother and his friend were finding it hard with their computer engineering degrees and that’s when I realised that without a degree I had no chance.

After our 3 months were up we decided to return home and I was at a cross roads. Do I complete my bachelors or get into this Internet marketing Phenomenon? Completing my degree did not seem like an option at the time due to my financial situation, so I decided to give it a go, I started very slow and started to research a lot more into Internet Marketing and started to realise the scope the industry had to offer…..

No comments: